- 2 lbs peeled, large, raw shrimp
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15-oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15-oz.) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (6-oz. each) tomato paste
- 2 cups frozen cut okra
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 2 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried whole basil
- 1 tsp. dried whole oregano
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. dry red wine
- Hot cooked rice
Cook chopped onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic in a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat until vegetables are wilted; drain.
Stir in remaining ingredients except shrimp and rice. Simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes.
Stir in shrimp and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
Remove bay leaves. Serve over rice.